Thursday, August 30, 2012

D'OH



D'OH (head slap included)  This was exactly my reaction last night, when I realized  that since last Friday I had been giving RD oranges.  What's wrong with oranges?  They are on his mild intolerance list.  He is only supposed to get them once every four days.  Along with pineapple, he'd been drinking pineapple juice as well.  Let's just say that I was on the verge of tears.  How did I miss it?  I am a horrible mom!  Why didn't I see it on his list?  Why am I not checking the list twice?  I felt horrible telling him that I had messed up big time.  R.D. had gotten used to his orange/banana smoothie and drinking orange juice with this horrible tasting powder supplement he has to take every day.  And he didn't hold back telling me that I had just taken away his favorite thing.  That he could finally take his medicine in orange juice and like it.  Why was I taking away everything that he liked.  D'OH! 

The only conclusion that I can reach is that I must have looked at Nathan's chart by accident and thought oranges were o.k.  I definitely had some moments last night where I was so mad at myself and I kept apologizing to R.D.  Yes, I know that I had been telling myself that I would mess up and it would be just fine.  No one gets it perfect right away.  It is a process.  But, still how did I miss such an obvious one....the orange!  I mean I understand if I mess up with his spice intolerance, but to mess up the orange.  Today is a new day and R.D. is now getting a strawberry/banana smoothie and apple juice with his supplement. Yes, I have double and triple checked that those are on the "approved" list or in the green section. 

The boys are doing better with the nutrition as far as accepting it.  Nathan even told me he liked it and that kids at school who were eating bad food couldn't focus as well as he can.  My mom even forgot to give him his Concerta (his ADHD meds) on Tuesday, and the teacher said he did an excellent job.  When I figured out he hadn't gotten his meds, I told my mom, "You get to call his teacher and apologize to her."  She actually did just that, and that is when we found out he had been well behaved. 

The steps are small right now, but we are seeing changes.  Looking so forward to beginning the Brain Balance sessions next Tuesday.  This is where I believe the boys will get to see that there are other kids doing the same thing and they aren't alone.  R.D. even asked me the other night if we were the only family who eats this way and does these exercises.  The boys need to be reassured that they are not alone and I believe that starting the sessions will be just what they need. 

Excuse me, I need to go check again that apples, strawberries and bananas are on the approved list....

No comments:

Post a Comment