Friday, November 30, 2012

Signs, signs...everywhere there's signs



Signs, signs everywhere, there's signs
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

I don't know why, but this song is stuck in my head.  It probably has to do with the fact that yesterday was R.D.'s last session at Brain Balance before his assessment.  Nathan has his last session tomorrow.  I sat yesterday in the waiting area while the boys did sessions and filled out paperwork.  It is the same paperwork I filled out before the boys started.  I had been told that this is often the point when you realize the changes that have been made.  They weren't kidding!

As I sat there filling out the paperwork on each boy, I was shocked by how much I hadn't noticed had changed.  It's like being with that person who loses a lot of weight and you don't notice because you are with them everyday.  They were things that I just hadn't noticed....literally there were signs all around me, but I hadn't seen them all.  We have seen many changes for the better and almost daily see more advancement.  R.D. is more responsible.  He makes his bed now, he doesn't fight when I clip his fingernails, his ability to follow multi-step directions is getting better.  He is acting more like an 11 year old.  He just seemed to make the change to doing things that others take for granted overnight.  He just all the sudden does the "normal" thing and he's not even aware of it.  It is amazing to watch.  Often I have to stop myself from cheering, because I don't want to bring attention to it.

Nathan is having the same great results.  He is not a disruption in class and is getting back to playing with friends.  He now wants to be social again.  They like to play outside, they are more active, and they are less likely to whine every time we do something different.  Now, they still have their moments but don't most kids.

Both boys are on the lowest dosing of their medicine.  They are taking 18 mg of Concerta.  R.D. started at 45 mg in August. Nathan began the journey at 36 mg.  Their pediatrician is excited and genuinely impressed by their improvement.  He just saw both boys in the last week for their well checks and couldn't believe what he was seeing.  The changes were noticeable to him.  He wants to learn more and do what he can to help other parents.  He told us he sees kids with ADHD, Autism and other learning disorders all day long.  Their doctor believes that in just a few months (or sooner) they will be completely off the meds.  That is one of our goals!  Teachers are giving good feedback and letting us know the changes they are seeing as well.

We have to wait till after their assessment to know if they need 3 more months, a few more sessions, or if they are done.  By done I only mean that their sessions at Brain Balance would be over.  They will still have a certain number of at home exercises to do for awhile.  They also will remain on their diet.  No gluten, No soy, No dairy, and No Casein.  Yes, they have told me they want to keep eating the food we eat...they like it.  As we continue to introduce more foods from their "intolerant" list, the happier they get.  My boys know they feel better and our whole family has made the change.  We like it!  I am anxious to continue learning new recipes and becoming a better cook.  Can I just say that we have never been healthier.  No doctor visits this fall.  No medicines.  A lot of the weird runny noses, congestion and other issues are no longer occurring.

If we need more sessions, we will make it happen.  I have chosen to view the at home exercises as a great time to be with my boys.  Yes, it is exhausting. Yes, it is a lot of WORK.  Yes, we have sacrificed.  Yes, we have struggled.  Yes, the food changes were HARD.

But....I would do it over again!  I have been able to put my family first.  I know that I have given them everything I have. I have learned more about them and spent precious time with them.  Our boys will not have to wonder if we care about them.  They know!  Even on those days when I didn't want to cook a meal, pack a lunch, or do another session....I tried to remind myself that this is precious time, to slow down and to live in the moment.  I have been so PROUD of them in this journey that I can't help but shed tears when I think of how hard they have worked.  I don't believe they would have worked as hard as they did if they didn't want to fix their brains, and felt that the whole process was working.

Brain Balance works, if you work the program.  Don't skip anything they tell you to do!  We have learned to go against the norm.  It's made our family stronger.  I am excited to see the future my boys have.  I feel like they have a better chance of success now.

Our sign says...."Just Getting Started!"


1 comment:

  1. You are not supposed to make me cry!! I loved your post and love your family! We are so proud of you guys and your hard work and amazing improvements. You will always be a part of our Brain Balance Family!

    ReplyDelete