Friday, October 26, 2012

The Little Things....


Anyone else see story problems like this?  My boys do!  One of the right brain weaknesses is "story problems".  Ugh....I despise story problems.  I would rather clean toilets than try to figure out a story problem, yet this is one of the things that we are supposed to be helping our boys with.  Ha, Ha!  I guess all of my past math teachers are getting their revenge. 

The wonderful part of our Brain Balance journey is how much we are all learning.  Not just the boys, but Chris, myself and grandma.  We are also sharing what we learn with the boys teachers.  I feel the more that we all learn the better able to help the boys all of us will be.  Every single day I have an ah-ha moment.  I love it! 

Now to brag! 

R.D. was invited to his best friends birthday party a couple of weeks ago....as a mom, I worried.  How do you send your 11 year old to a birthday party where he can't eat or drink anything?  First, you talk with the parents of the other child.  You find out what is going to be happening over the 3 hours that your child will be there.  Next, you let the other parent know that your child can't eat any of what they are serving.  But, that you will be glad to send food with your child.  Hang up phone and talk with your kid.  We explained to R.D. what was going to happen at the party and the food that would be served that he couldn't eat.  We gave R.D. his food choices....what would be similar to what everyone else was going to be eating. Pack lunch box.  Included in our lunch box was a bison patty with seasoning (ready for grilling), a bag of grandpa's potato chips, apple and the glorious gluten, soy and dairy free chocolate bar. 

An empty lunch box was brought home, as well as a kid who had a blast with his best friend.  He wasn't ashamed of his food and his friends were super accepting of it.  Some of you may be asking yourself, "How does she know he didn't sneak food he wasn't supposed to have?"   First, R.D. told me he didn't.  I believe him.  Second, if he had snuck something he wasn't supposed to....we would have noticed.  Behavior changes,stomach ache, and other noticeable things would have occurred.  That's the beauty of the diet we follow....if you stray from it, you notice it. 

Now to brag on Nathan!  The other day at Brain Balance while R.D. was doing his session, Nathan and I headed to the car to do homework.  As soon as we got in the car, Nathan had to go to the bathroom....bad!  I told him to run back in and go.  He jumped out of the car and then did something that almost made me cry.....he got to the back of the car and stopped.  He then looked both ways before running across the parking lot.  I know it sounds silly to most, but both boys usually just run out completely unaware of what is going on.  He didn't get hit by a car...he stopped and looked.  Hallelujah! 

I also just noticed last night that the boys seem more calm at night.  Usually, when their medicine wears off at night, we get all the pent up craziness. 

I know there are lots of things that have changed, and I have yet to notice.  It's like when you live with someone who loses a lot of weight, but you don't really notice until you leave for a week or so and then come back and see them.  When you live and spend so much time together, things change and you don't even notice.  I can't wait to fill out the same questionaires at the end, that I filled out in the beginning.  I am anxious to have certain achievements brought to my attention that I am overlooking. 

I would encourage anyone struggling with a child with ADHD, Asperger's, Autism, Dyslexia, or a number of other developmental delays to visit a Brain Balance Center.  However, don't think that this is just a simple "cut sugar out" of their diets plan....it's not.  It's work, HARD work!  It's a commitment.  You have to do what they tell you and stick to the plan.  So far, I have NO regrets!  I have HOPE for the future of my boys.  I feel that I have knowledge that is priceless.  I have two boys who have increasing self-esteems, the chance to get off medicine, and a belief that they can do something that is hard and succeed.  I have two boys who I LOVE with all my HEART!

No comments:

Post a Comment